Monday, October 25, 2010

Clearing Out the Closet

This weekend my family and I cleaned out our closets. We removed all the clothes that were torn, damaged, didn't fit, or that we didn't want any more. It was amazing how much I found that I'd forgotten I owned! So after finding long-lost loved items and deciding what I was ready to get rid of, I had to figure out what to do with it all. I started by reorganising all of my closet space to accommodate  the clothing I wanted to keep.

Next I had to look at the pile of clothing I didn't want any more. Wow, that one was big! I had a lot of old shirts that I put on my top shelf a while ago and haven't taken down, a lot of which are now too small. Some of these were in decent shape, so I put them in a pile to give to younger kids I know. Others had small holes, but were otherwise in decent shape, and I put those in the pile of fabric I have been collecting to reuse. There were also a few pieces that were not in decent shape to be worn, which will go in clothes recycling.

Thinking back to the clothes I put in the pile of fabric to reuse, I have so many options! Some of you will remember that I have previously made a pencil pouch, a flower hairband, a couple of kids' toys, and a quilt out of old jeans as well as a reusable toys out of an old cotton t shirt. I have huge amount of fabric to reuse, old jeans, bed sheets, t shirts... all to be cut up and turned into something new!

So I'm looking for suggestions! What could I make? Or even what you're making out of your old stuff! I'd love to know :).You could email me (beth@whymewhynot.org) or post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment