Sunday, October 3, 2010

Showers

Right now I'm going to start simple, with showers. Yes, I did just say showers. I'll admit, I am absolutely terrible at taking short showers. I'm one of those people who just can't take 5 minute showers. Not easily. Some people can do that easily, and I think it's amazing. I have many different methods of conserving water though. Sometimes its as simple as turning the water off while I condition my hair, other times I just have to make myself hurry up! Showers can waste a whole load of water every day, you probably use between two and a half to five gallons of water per minute of your shower, depending on the strength of your shower head. If you can shorten your shower by one or two minutes, then you'll be saving up to 150 gallons per month.

There are some ways we can help ourselves decrease the lengths our our showers. I've recently heard about shower timers, which are basically hourglasses set for five minutes so we're reminded of how long we're taking. If you're really bad at short showers like me, how about using a stopwatch to time the length of your shower and seeing if you can improve?  Its simple and easy, and if we keep trying then shorter showers will become habits.

1 comment:

  1. Some good ideas Beth. I for one am good at five minute showers, I don't have time for longer ones, but my boys are guilty of staying in the shower too long. It troubles me how much water we waste in this country: dripping faucets, broken sprinklers, etc. etc. I think your blog is great and an inspiration to us all - well done!

    ReplyDelete